Bavarian Motels' Top 10 - Things to do in Invercargill
Our Top 10 Things to do in Invercargill
1. Johns' favourite shop is EHayes & Sons, this is not just a hardware store it is also a museum for cars & motorcycles, including a Burt Munro motorbike. While away a few hours here, & don't worry they also have a wonderful kitchen & giftware department. www.ehayes.co.nz
2. Queens Park would be a favourite of many a local & visitor. From the Rose Gardens, Winter Gardens & Rhododendrons to the Walk through avairy & animal displays to the children's playground Queens Park has something for everyone. No visit to the park is complete without an ice cream, the Cheeky Llama has a great selection or a coffee & cake for those who would like something else.
3. Southland Museum & Art Gallery, has a treasure trove of exhibits, the most popular would be the live Tuatara display. Watch the young & old (Henry is over 100 years old) tuatara go about their day to day lives, tuatara were around in the Jurassic period. www.southlandmuseum.com
4. Annabel enjoys shopping, and Invercargill has a great selection of unique shops from H&J Smiths - local department store, to Glowing Sky - manufacturers of Merino clothing, to Knights Factory shop - specialists in sheepskin clothing, the Windsor Shopping precinct has a wonderful selection of boutique shops.
5. Another of Johns favourites is the HW Richardson Truck museum. The museum houses over 230 trucks & 150 petrol bowsers. and still growing with plans to expand. (building in progress).
6. Oreti Beach is another local favourite, depending on the weather you could take a dip in the sea, or drive along some of the 26km beach, & then have fish n chips while watching the sunset.
8. Invercargill has some good walking tracks for you to explore, ask Annabel for her recommendations.
10. For the golfer, Invercargill has a selection of 4 golf courses to challenge you. There is Queens Park set in picturesque Queens Park, Otatara Links , GreenAcres for driving range close to home, and Oreti Sands.